The Frog Blog

J.R. Sparlin discusses things

Monday, May 21, 2012

Clare Vanderpool Work of Promise Scholarship

Something very cool has happened.  I have won the inaugural 2012 Clare Vanderpool Work of Promise Scholarship, awarded by the Kansas chapter of the Society of Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI).

Clare Vanderpool is a Kansas author who won the Newbery Medal last year for her novel, Moon Over Manifest.  The Kansas SCBWI has established this award in her honor.

I get to go to the Kansas SCBWI conference this fall for free, and also get a manuscript critique and consultation with an editor or agent.  I won the scholarship for my unpublished middle-grade novel, The Court Wizard.

I am very grateful for this award and this opportunity, and kind of nervous because I want to use the opportunity well.